The process to legally entering and remaining in the United States can often be a confusing and time-consuming process.  We can offer guidance with respect to a wide range of immigration services, such as visa applications, permanent resident petitions (including family and work “green cards”), citizenship applications, the marriage and divorce process, and cancellation of deportation or removal.  Below you will find brief descriptions of some of the services we can provide to immigrants and their families.  To consult with us about your immigration issue, please contact us:

Family-Based Petitions for Permanent Residence (Green Cards):  One of the most common means of obtaining permanent residence (green cards) in the United States is through a family-based petition.  We work with families through the entire process of obtaining permanent residence in the United States for their loved ones, including drafting the relevant forms, assisting them with compiling documentation, and accompanying them to their interviews.  With the recent Supreme Court decision striking down DOMA, many LGBT bi-national couples are now petitioning for green cards.  We have experience with some of the special considerations that are relevant to gay, lesbian, bi-sexual and transgender individuals who are seeking to obtain permanent residence through their American spouse.  To learn more about this process, please read our recent post on the decision striking down DOMA or our article on petitioning for a green card through marriage.

Temporary and Permanent Visas/Citizenship:  A non-resident of the United States may enter this country with a valid visa and passport, and may remain legally in any various number of ways.  We have experience in determining what type of visa may be most beneficial and how to apply for and obtain such a visa.  Moreover, for those who wish to become citizens of the United States, we can provide guidance in applying for citizenship as well as guidance on any additional steps that may be required to become a United States citizen. 

Adjustment of Status:  A non-resident who has obtained a visa to remain only temporarily in the United States may attempt to adjust his or her status to receive a permanent residence card.  Brophy & Lenahan has experience in filing for adjustment of status, and the procedures involved in achieving a successful result. 

Deportation and Removal:  Unfortunately, some immigrants may find themselves in the position of being detained by the U.S. government for removal from this country, or in the position of potentially being deported upon their entrance to this country.  Brophy & Lenahan can help by offering various services, including working to obtain a release from detention, as well as representation at immigration court in order to avoid deportation or removal.

Asylum/Withholding of Removal:  The United States will not send back people to their home countries if to do so would mean that person would experience death, torture, or persecution.  Brophy & Lenahan has experience in assisting potential refugees with filing for asylum and withholding of removal.  We can offer assistance from the filing of the asylum and withholding of removal application to the interview with immigration officials or hearing in immigration court.  Furthermore, Brophy & Lenahan has experience seeking asylum on behalf of LGBT immigrants who would face persecution in their home countries due to their sexual orientation.  To learn more about asylum, please read Kate Lenahan’s recent post entitled “Questions to Ask Yourself Before You Apply for Asylum.”